Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Being a personal assistant...









Emily n me: "My Public Photos"


My very first working experience was being a personal assistant. It was four years back, I was asked to go interview with my secondary school senior in a company located at Georgetown, Penang. I thought I was going to be a sales assistant. Somehow, my senior got the job while I was offered to be a personal assistant.


‘Do you have any working experience before?’ asked the manager.


‘Nope. After graduating from secondary school, this is the first job I seek for. Please give me a chance, I promise to do my best in this sales job.’ I answered.

‘A-hem… since you only have three months of working time, I don’t think the post of sales assistant will suit you. I actually need a PA to arrange my documents. Interested?’

Without thinking, I nodded. Never think of regretting it. Indeed I am proud of that. The next day after the interview, I became Emily’s personal assistant in my formal attire and high heels.

To me, being a personal assistant is one of the most challenging careers in the world. The reason is the PA workload is beyond the role of secretary or receptionist or any other administrative term that comes to mind. It really takes a thick skin and a steel resolve. Somehow, there is no specific educational or job track that leads to the role of personal assistant.

As a PA, I need to help my manager to make the best use of time by dealing with secretarial and administrative tasks because she was always running out of time until she skipped meals. Therefore she often relied heavily on me, trusting that work will be handled efficiently in her absence. To my horror, every day when I first step into the office, there will be a ‘grandmother’ list on my desk. It was so long that I even need to take some time to read them up. Every day was a hectic day. My phone was 24-hour on service as my boss would just call anytime anywhere. I must be well prepared with her PDA phone to access the information and appointment of the day; and a note pad for me to jot down any task given spontaneously.

Personal assistants often act as their manager's first point of contact with people from both inside and outside the organization. Don’t be too surprised that I worked overtime nearly every day. My typical workload include screening telephone calls, enquiries and requests, and handling them when appropriate; organizing and maintaining diaries and making appointments; dealing with incoming email, faxes and post from customers, often corresponding on behalf of the manager; taking dictation and minutes; producing documents, reports and presentations; liaising with clients, suppliers and other staff. And many more unexpected like buying meals for her when she was so stuck in the never-ending meeting, help her to pay the water bill for three consecutive months and also accompany her to attend dinner with directors.

Though I was thought to be a workaholic (in the eyes of my colleagues), I enjoyed my job instead. Emily and I have developed a trusted relationship and even after my service, we still keep in touch and hang out together. I have been so lucky to meet her and have her as my boss. I am so grateful that she led me all the way and appreciated all my effort. She always dined with me and gave me guidance for me to handle the job well. And of course, my salary is well paid. Becoming a personal assistant may be a case of being in the right place at the right time. Thanks to Emily for the opportunity given. This wonderful working experience of my first time being employed; being a personal assistant becomes part and parcel of my life. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment